Thursday, October 15, 2009

Weeks 24, 25 and 26 in the library

Ode to my bucket
Oh Bucket, you are the most useful thing I’ve bought all year
(although at first I wondered if I needed you)
You have become:
My extra seat, my bedside table
My kitchen sink, my laundry sink
My emergency water supply
(when the pump generator wont start and I have to go down to the stream)
My warm showers in the morning and
You are: green.

NEWS FROM THE LIBRARY:
Last week was eventful. I got mad when some kids drew on some books. I yelled at them, and then I burst into tears. I think I’m a bit tired. The kids fled from the library and were contrite when they returned. I felt like a bad parent, I mean, librarian. A moment later, a text message came through that we were on tsunami alert. What a relief! I went and stood on the quadrangle with Bursar and Mr Tari. We looked at the water. It looked normal. Blue. Wavy. We discussed the likelihood of a wave surmounting Moso and Lelepa Islands in order to attack us. Unlikely, we decided. Bursar said maybe the water would rise a bit. Likely, we decided. Then we went to lunch.

In other news, Mrs Roro in the house behind me has taken to playing music that describes the saints as “waiting to say how de do!” upon arrival at your “mansion in heaven”. She had malaria last week. I hope she recovers [her taste in music]. Where’s that Bob Marley CD you couldn’t stop playing last month, Mrs Roro?

Best reference question ever:
“Is it true that Japan has lots of earthquakes because they worship false gods?” Answer: Sonia in Year 10 will never know it, but this question, and the information about tectonic plates that we found together, made me feel like this year has been worthwhile.

Second best reference question ever:
“Can you explain this?” (student points to the words ‘oral sex’ in The Puberty Book)
Answer: Umm… Yes. (Damn you, Puberty Book!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i had a similar confrontation with bad students on monday this week and it has ruined my week, it was so bad I can't really commit it to paper/screen. like you, I think i'm tired and over due for a holiday, so i'm taking one next week!

SD said...

That last reference question is hilarious. Thanks for sharing. Or over-sharing, in the case of the student...nah, I guess it was just doing your job...